Ensuring efficient and effective review of the quality system of SIM NMIs to ensure conformance with the expectations of the CIPM MRA and to serve other quality system approval needs of SIM NMIs
Quality System Review Guidelines
The SIM QSTF must satisfy itself that, through its review process, the quality management system operated by the NMI or DI is effective and conforms with the requirements of the CIPM MRA, including the applicable requirements of ISO/IEC 17025, ISO 17034, etc.
The SIM QSTF is composed of 16 voting members (from the eight (8) Member States and the eight (8) Associates of the CGPM). Voting members to the SIM QSTF are nominated by an NMI that is both a SIM member and a signatory to the CIPM MRA.
The SIM QSTF meetings are generally open to observers from all SIM members, representatives from other RMOs, and representatives from other metrology related organizations. On occasion, the QSTF Chair may declare part of the meeting closed allowing QSTF delegates to discuss internal QSTF matters and formulate policy.
Information distributed to the QSTF members in support of QMS reviews is considered confidential.
The International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM) Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) requires that signatory National Metrology Institutes (NMIs) and Designated Institutes (DIs) establish and maintain a quality system (QS), also referred as a quality management system (QMS).
It is the responsibility of SIM to review the QMSs operated by its member NMIs and DIs and to report on their acceptance to the Joint Committee of the Regional Metrology Organizations and the BIPM (JCRB). The JCRB in turn uses this process to help build confidence among the Regional Metrology Organizations (RMOs) by establishing transparent QMS review guidelines, which are mutually acceptable among all RMOs.
The SIM General Assembly established the SIM Quality System Task Force (QSTF) to meet the requirement that SIM review all member quality systems by passing the following Council Resolution in 2005:
Resolution CR04/05: A task force will be set up to review QS implementations in SIM members for the purpose of the CIPM MRA, which will be formed by CIPM-MRA signatories. The chairperson of the QSTF will be appointed by the Council.
The SIM bylaws state the responsibility and membership of the SIM QSTF.
- The SIM QSTF is responsible for reviewing and approving the quality management system(s) of any SIM member or associate upon request, even non-signatories of the MRA;
- A meeting of the QSTF to review the QMS of NMIs will be held at least once a year;
- The meeting will be open to all SIM members and observers from other RMOs, and will provide the opportunity for discussion and comments;
- SIM QSTF decisions will be made by the representatives of the SIM signatories to the CIPM MRA;
- The QSTF will assess whether or not the quality management system of each NMI conforms with the requirements of the CIPM MRA;
- The SIM QSTF approval is required prior to submission of CMC claims to the JCRB.
Additional information is available on the NIST hosted page:
Georgette Macdonald, Chair, QSTF
Andrew Conn, Secretariat, QSTF