Is the area of Metrology whose purpose is to promote the correctness and fairness in commercial transactions, to ensure an appropriate level of credibility in the results of the measurements; provide protection of the health and safety of members of society, and to create a positive impact in the environment. Through the verification and metrological supervision of the Technical Regulations in relation to the units of measurement, methods, procedures and instruments of measurement.
Legal metrology is defined in the VIML 2013: Pag 16. (https://www.oiml.org/en/files/pdf_v/v001-ef13.pdf), as follows:
“Practice and process of applying statutory and regulatory structure and enforcement to metrology.
Note 1. The scope of legal metrology may be different from country to country.
Note 2. Legal metrology includes:
- Setting up legal requirements,
- Control/conformity assessment of regulated products and regulated activities,
- Supervision of regulated products and of regulated activities, and
- Providing the necessary infrastructure for the traceability of regulated measurements and measuring instruments to SI or national standards.
Note 3. There are also regulations outside the area of legal metrology pertaining to the accuracy and correctness of measurement methods.”
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF LEGAL METROLOGY?
- Legal Metrology links the user and the supplier to safeguard the interests of both.
- Legal Metrology promotes economic and social benefits.
- Avoid unjustified payments by consumers for using measuring instruments that do not meet legal requirements or prepackaged products that do not have the stated quantity.
- Avoid unfair practices and competition, strengthen the principle of competitiveness, and promote ethics in all types of transactions.
- It helps to strengthen the government’s role in seeking reliable business transactions.
- Urges the employer to meet requirements in the manufacture of products and provision of services.
In measurement instruments, it is a conformity assessment procedure that leads to the affixing of a verification mark and/or the issuance of a verification certificate. It is the set of administrative, visual, and technical examinations, intended to verify and confirm that a measuring instrument meets the legal requirements.
In prepackaged products, it is the legal metrological control activity to verify compliance with current national legislation on metrology. This includes the control of the correct quantity and contents in the prepackaged product; to verify compliance with national regulations.
CHAIRPERSON CONTACT INFO
Chair: Pedro Pérez Vargas
Vice chair: Sandra Zúñiga
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR MEMBERS LMWG
|Pamela Ramsubhag||Trinidad and Tobago||[email protected]|
|Juan Carlos Mateus Sanchez||Brazil||[email protected]|
|Sandra Rodríguez Zúñiga||Costa Rica||[email protected]|
|Leandro Ezequiel García||Argentina||[email protected]|
|Ralph Richter||United States||[email protected]|
|Margaret Campbell||Barbados||[email protected]|
|Anselm Gittens||Saint Lucia||[email protected]|
LINKS OF INTEREST
LEGAL METROLOGY WEBSITES:
PUBLICATIONS OF INTEREST: