The Inter-American Metrology System (SIM, by its acronym in Spanish) was created to promote international, and regional, and particularly Inter-American cooperation in metrology issues. SIM is committed to implementing a global measuring system upon which all users may rely. SIM promotes and supports an integrated measurement infrastructure in the Americas, which enables each member national metrology institutes (NMIs) to stimulate innovation, competitiveness, trade, consumer safety and sustainable development by effectively participating in the international metrology community.
To promote and support an integrated measurement infrastructure in the America which enables each member national measurement institutes to stimulate innovation, competitiveness, trade, consumer safety and sustainable development by effectively participating in the international metrology community
A representative, transparent, competent, and worldwide-recognized regional metrology organization.
The strategic objectives of SIM are to develop NMIs in the SIM region, to become SIM in a strong organization and to fulfill Regional Metrology Organization Obligations under the CIPM.
The following specific objectives are also determined:
– Develop Metrology for Innovation
– Develop Metrology for a Sustainable Development
– Increase the technical capabilities of SIM NMIs
– Support the implementation of the redefinition of the SI in the region
– Implement mutually beneficial ways of interaction with outside organizations
– Improve means of communication among SIM members
– Establish SIM as a Legal Entity
– Build a financially sustainable institution
– Increase the participation of SIM members in leading position
– Ensure effective international representation of SIM
– Ensure efficient and effective technical review of regional and inter-regional CMCs submitted for publishing in the KCDB
– Ensure efficient and effective review of the quality systems of SIM NMIs to ensure compliance with the requirements of the CIPM MRA and serve other needs of SIM NMIs
– Organize and implement regional key comparisons required to support the calibration programs of SIM NMIs and to provide linkage to BIPM key comparisons